Sunday, September 15, 2013

Life Back in Utah

Jen is putting me to shame with all of her blog posts, so I figured it's about time for me to write something.  Life in Utah doesn't seem nearly as exciting as Jen exploring Mexico, but life is pretty good nonetheless!

I'm in my last year at the U (crazy!) and staying busy designing costumes - or as Jen likes to say about my schoolwork, "Coloring and playing dress up."  Seriously, I'm pretty lucky.  All the time I think to myself, "Who does this?  Who gets to go to school and get paid to paint pretty pictures and make costumes?"  Yet that is exactly what I do.  And I've stayed busily employed in it since I started my major - let's hope that continues after I graduate!

Last Friday a play I've been working on since July opened.  It was so nice to see all my work come together.  It is the ancient Greek play,  "Oedipus the King."  I've had to read it in school about three times before I worked on it.  I can't say it's my favorite story, but it was a great professional experience.

The fun and challenging thing was that the actors never leave the stage, but most of them had to change characters so I had to create reversible robes to help them change character quickly.  For example - in the first picture below, the guy on the left becomes the guy in the second picture.  And the second lady from the left in the first picture becomes the queen in the third picture.  Kind of fun, right?  It was a lot of work getting there, but so fun to see it in action.

Another random fun note is that the purple robe is made from sari fabric from India.  I am absolutely in love with Indian sari fabric.  Sometimes I wish it was socially acceptable for me to wear a sari around.  So pretty.







That's about it for my update.  I've got to start taking more pictures to document my adventures here in Utah.  Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment